Sunday, April 19, 2009

Language Barrier

So my mom is in Korea right now visiting family, and hanging out with a couple of her close friends. Oh how I wish I could have went with her, because she said this is the last time she is going back there. But the reason for my sharing this is last week my mom called me from her sister's house there. After talking to her for awhile she said her sister wanted to talk to me. Now remember none of my mom's sisters speak very much English. So she gets on the phone and this is how the conversation goes...
Hello Adrienne
Hi Imo How are you
Hi Adrienne this is Imo I love you
Sarang Hamnida (I love you in Korean)
Giggles in the background
How are you Adrienne
I am good, how are you?
Then she starts saying a ton of stuff in Korean, all of which I have no clue what she is saying.
I just laugh and say I love you Sarang Hamnida
She laughs says some more in Korean ends with Sarang Hamnida and says Here's mama.

My mom gets on the phone laughing because my aunt thought that since I said Sarang Hamnida, that I knew Korean, and that is why she went off speaking Korean to me.

So what have I learned from this situation...I really need to learn Korean. So I need to dust off the books and Cd's my mom bought me and start learning it. So my new goal is by the time the baby comes, I hope to have a very simple conversation in Korean with my mom and if her sister's ever call me again, and to be able to teach my kids more Korean phrases.

No comments:

Guestbook! Sign in & Scroll down to see New Posts!