Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mommy & Daddy Dates

So a few years ago, Steve and I started Mommy and Daddy dates. This is when each of the kids gets to go by themselves and pick anything they want to do...as long as they don't spend over $10. My dates always include ice cream...because I love it.

So this past Monday Steve and Byron went fishing and to Wendy's for their daddy date. They didn't catch any fish...but boy do they both want to go again, and beg everyday to go fishing again. They are funny boys.

When they got back, I needed to go shopping for our friend's daughters birthdays. So off Emily and I went to the mall to go to Clairs. Can I say Clair's is a little girl's paradise. Emily was going nuts, she wanted everything in the store. But finally we found some gifts for our friend...and all on clearance (so we got to buy a lot more) and started checking out. Emily continued to ask for different things, boy she is very good at persuasion. But I stood strong and said not now, maybe at another time. Then as we were leaving Clair's I asked her if she wanted to go anywhere else...with sad eyes she said no. But as we were walking out she asked can we go get ice cream? Now ice cream is my weakness...especially waffle cones. So at first I said no, but then I said yes and it can be a mommy date! Boy was she excited when we went into Cold Stone's and she saw all their choices, and giant waffle bowls. It was really cute to watch her choose her ice cream and toppings. It was fun watching her get covered in chocolate and talking to me about her friends, school, and how she didn't want a boyfriend until she was 25 (Her dad has done a great job brainwashing her).

I just have to say I love Mommy dates...and I love watching Steve go on Daddy Dates (he even went to Enchanted for Emily). If you guys don't have these yet...may I suggest you do them, it is amazing how much your relationships with your kids becomes closer...and it is fun to watch your hubby go and do some crazy things and come back with some crazy hats(burger king crowns), or prizes.

5 comments:

On Our List said...

Isn't monday night supposed to be family night??? J/K What a great idea. Kids love the one on one attention.

BTW, I wish Doug would get a boat. I have never had so much fun. We were on Utah Lake, which isn't that clean but way close. :)

Annie Miller said...

What a great idea! Love it.

AOlson said...

Your Mommy and Daddy dates are awesome!

Kathryn Cooper said...

That's so fun! That's a tradition we definitely want to have in our little family.

Brehtt said...

That is a great idea, we will have to try it out. I love watching Bret play with our kids too, there is nothing better. :)

Guestbook! Sign in & Scroll down to see New Posts!